Monday, May 28, 2007

Day 61 (August 8th): Frankfurt & Atlanta

We woke up at 6:15 AM for our last day in Germany. It was tough to motivate but we showered, packed up and went downstairs for the buffet breakfast. This buffet was not as good as some of the other places we had been to, but you can't complain when it's "free". We packed up the car and hit the road around 7:00 AM. It was a 15 minute drive to the Avis rental return at the airport and we said goodbye to our BMW X3 that clocked over 2700 KM during the last 12 days. We checked our luggage and went to the Lufthansa Business Lounge at 9:15 AM. Our flight was 10:40 AM so we had sometime to enjoy some snacks and I had my last German beer in Germany (Becks). We boarded the plane around 10:00 AM and got settled in our comfortable reclining chairs. I watched Shrek 3 on the plane and ate Herring (not good), chicken and pasta, rolls and a few little desserts along with a couple of Warsteiner beers. All throughout Germany I had seen advertisements for Campari and soda and never tried one, so I decided to sample it on the plane (why not? free drinks). It was very bitter and I didn't like it at all so I ordered another beer to wash the bad taste from my mouth. The kids were great on the plane and ended up watching 4 movies each. We landed at 2:45 PM EST and went through customs pretty quickly. By the time we re-checked our luggage and got through the crazy security at Atlanta we exited the terminal at 4:30 PM where the Turners (and Fuzzy Dog) were there to pick us up. It was brutal outside (close to 100 degrees) and we were not used to the hot weather but happy to be home. We made it back to our house a little after 5:00 PM and then went to Houstons for dinner. Al and I shared a cheeseburger and a Thai jungle steak salad. After dinner we drove back home and settled in. It was strange to be home and lying in our own bed watching 300 channels of English speaking tv.
As I look back on our trip and the last 61 days, I was extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to live abroad and travel as extensively as I did. I saw more of Germany than most Germans do in a life time. The kids experienced Europe for the first time and learned a lot about the culture and its history. I am happy that I motivated to maintain this Blog and take thousands of pictures to properly document the trip and help remind us of the wonderful sites we experienced. I know the kids will not remember everything and hopefully this Blog will be a good reference for them in the future. For those of you that have kept up with the Blog, I hope it has been a fun experience for you too, even though you had to hear about every meal we ate in detail. It is at this point that my 2007 O'Saff's European Adventure ends and reality begins again.
Sincerely,
O'Saff

No comments: