Woke up and went to our usual corner bakery for breakfast. Came back to the apartment and gave the kids their food. Hannah had the salami sandwich and ruby red orangina, while Zach had a cheese sandwich with a ruby red orangina. Since the kids love the orangina, I looked in the supermarket for a large bottle of the red orangina but they do not carry it. We spent the morning in the apartment. The kids started playing their own version of warhammer on the coffee table and they love it. They play it for hours. This gave me time to do some research on Paris since we are heading their tonight. I found out that this weekend is Bastille Day in France and there is a big parade and fireworks tomorrow in Paris.
Around 12:00 PM we headed out and met Al for lunch. We went to a new place today that is part bakery and part restaurant. I ordered one of the specials and wasn’t totally sure what I ordered but it ended up being very good. It was a nice size salad with marinated mushrooms along with a baked potato drenched in sour cream. Zach had a pretzel cut in half with a couple of pieces of cheese. Hannah had a potato soup in a bread bowl. Everybody enjoyed their food. We then dropped Al off at work and got some ice cream. This weekend Dusseldorf was having a special French festival in celebration of Bastille Day. We walked around and looked at some of the booths that were being set up, but the festival didn’t start for a few hours. On the way home I noticed some swords in an antique store so we went inside and checked them out (I collect antique swords). The owner spoke a little English and we talked about the swords he had (about 10 of them). He had some nice ones but they were extremely overpriced (7,000 Euros). He was trying to convince me that these were good prices. I thanked him and we continued on our way. We stopped at a park near the apartment and the kids played for a while until it started raining. It was a slow drizzle at first but then the skies opened up. Luckily we were not to far from home. We hung out in the apartment until the storm passed and then we headed over to the supermarket to stock up on necessary items for our road trip tonight, i.e. water, chips, cookies, etc… When we got back to the apartment I had the kids shower up and I packed up our bags so we would be ready to go when Al came home. We had just finished up when Al arrived. The kids love salami now and we made a few sandwiches for the car so we could avoid any unnecessary stops on the road. The trip from Dusseldorf to Paris is 500 KM (about 4.5 hrs). We hit the road around 7:00 PM (see picture above of our X3 in the Schaper garage) and had a great night for driving. Skies were clear and there was no traffic. I averaged between 90 to 95 most of the way. We only had to stop one time for a bathroom break (I think it was in Belgium). It was around 11:00PM when we arrived in Paris. The name of our hotel was Hotel Residence Foch that was about a 15-minute walk west of the Arc de Triomphe. The room was nice. Al and I had two beds put together and the kids slept in a pull out sofa bed. By the time we got settled in and everybody was lying down it was about 12:00 AM. We had a big day ahead of us.
Around 12:00 PM we headed out and met Al for lunch. We went to a new place today that is part bakery and part restaurant. I ordered one of the specials and wasn’t totally sure what I ordered but it ended up being very good. It was a nice size salad with marinated mushrooms along with a baked potato drenched in sour cream. Zach had a pretzel cut in half with a couple of pieces of cheese. Hannah had a potato soup in a bread bowl. Everybody enjoyed their food. We then dropped Al off at work and got some ice cream. This weekend Dusseldorf was having a special French festival in celebration of Bastille Day. We walked around and looked at some of the booths that were being set up, but the festival didn’t start for a few hours. On the way home I noticed some swords in an antique store so we went inside and checked them out (I collect antique swords). The owner spoke a little English and we talked about the swords he had (about 10 of them). He had some nice ones but they were extremely overpriced (7,000 Euros). He was trying to convince me that these were good prices. I thanked him and we continued on our way. We stopped at a park near the apartment and the kids played for a while until it started raining. It was a slow drizzle at first but then the skies opened up. Luckily we were not to far from home. We hung out in the apartment until the storm passed and then we headed over to the supermarket to stock up on necessary items for our road trip tonight, i.e. water, chips, cookies, etc… When we got back to the apartment I had the kids shower up and I packed up our bags so we would be ready to go when Al came home. We had just finished up when Al arrived. The kids love salami now and we made a few sandwiches for the car so we could avoid any unnecessary stops on the road. The trip from Dusseldorf to Paris is 500 KM (about 4.5 hrs). We hit the road around 7:00 PM (see picture above of our X3 in the Schaper garage) and had a great night for driving. Skies were clear and there was no traffic. I averaged between 90 to 95 most of the way. We only had to stop one time for a bathroom break (I think it was in Belgium). It was around 11:00PM when we arrived in Paris. The name of our hotel was Hotel Residence Foch that was about a 15-minute walk west of the Arc de Triomphe. The room was nice. Al and I had two beds put together and the kids slept in a pull out sofa bed. By the time we got settled in and everybody was lying down it was about 12:00 AM. We had a big day ahead of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment